(no subject)

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 07/03/98

>ObCircle:  Would anyone know how to go about implementing a swapfile for
>circlemud, without swapping the whole thing to disk.  I've been messing
>with swapfiles, and it seems to me that it is an all to disk, or none to
>disk kind of swap deal.  I was just wondering if there exists an easy way
>to swap portions of the mud not in use for a while to disk, short of
>writing my own version of the linux kernel to run with the mud and handle
>all the memory allocations :P

Your OS does this for you.  It swaps out memory that hasn't been used for
awhile when it needs more.  In general, it's not worth trying to outsmart
your OS, since it knows more than you will about the environment.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://patches.van.ml.org/          | stupidity is not thus handicapped.