act() oddity

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 07/09/98

Welp, I'd be done with my version of weapon spells by now if it weren't for
one small oddity : the act() function.  I used the code from the FTP site
for this part, but anyway...

Ok, I have a macro called OBJ_WEAPON_SPELL_TO_CHAR(obj) which points to the
string of text that is supposed to be sent to the character when his
weapon's spell goes off.

Ok, the string is this.  "$p shudders in your grasp and power courses
through you."

So I send it through act()

(wielded = GET_EQ(ch, WEAR_WIELD))
strcpy(buf1, OBJ_WEAPON_SPELL_TO_CHAR(wielded));
act(buf1, TRUE, ch, wielded, 0, TO_CHAR));

Message received by character :
$p shudders in your grasp and power courses through you.

For some reason, it's not being parsed or whatever, could someone point me
in the right direction?

-B.