Re: [CONCEPT] Warmboot Patch +0200"

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 07/13/98

> I am wondering, is there a patch out there to allow a Warmboot in place of
> the normal (and irritating) shutdown reboot. I've seen this on a ROM-type
> MUD. If you haven't the slightest clue what a Warmboot is, I can say that
> when you just reboot normally, all players are disconnected until the MUD
> has read through all .c, .h, .wld, etc. files. A Warmboot just gives the
> message "Warmboot Commencing", a little lag while the MUD scans through
> all files. A fast way to code without having to reboot.

I'm a little confused by this since I've never seen a ROM.

Does it startup a secondary server in the background, and transfer all the
sockets from one server to the next while maintaining some level of static
existance on the mud world.  Or does it just reload a bunch of config
files, objects into the database?

If the later, some recoding will have to be done to make circle more like
apache/sendmail/qmail in reading conf-style files.

What you can do is within circle have a flag to make circle maintain a
"holding pattern".  It will attempt to bind a port, if it fails it'll sleep
for a timeout and try again.  This way you can start the secondary server
in the background and it'll continually attempt to bind the server's port.
When you shutdown the first server, the secondary server should pick up as
soon as the port is relinquished.

This may not be a good thing(tm).

d.