Re: [Code] Weather system

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 08/05/98

>Just wondering if anyone has implemented a full weather system into
>their MUD (ie, with lightning strikes, room temperatures, frostbite
>etc.), and if so, can I have a look at the MUD, and possibly the code?

Yes, I have a complete weather system based on seasons, zone weater type
(individual weather based on zones) temperature, humidity, wind speed,
and wind direction.  Everything from scorching heatwaves to icy blizards,
to tornado weather are possible (depending on the zone)  It has
implementation to account for random fluctuations (most of the weather
systems like to try and keep a 'status quo', and thus, severe weather is
near impossible) and magical influences.

The MUD is in an alpha stage, and as such is not open to the public.  As
to letting you see the code, that's not going to be happening.  This is
one of my code creations I am particularily fond of, and don't want to
see as some cheap snippet that appears on every 'heavily modified'
CircleMUD that some Tom, Dick, or Harry set up.  It's just one of the
things that add flavour to my MUD, and giving it up is out of the
question.

However, here is some free advice:  If you want to make a weather system
that seems real, be prepared to take a lot of factors into consideration,
and not limit certain types of weather to any one season.  (Heck, where I
am, any weather at any time of the year is possible)  The most realistic
weather systems have 'changes' in the weather occur when several factors
are in the proper range.  For example, it won't rain unless the humidity
is high, with some cooler temperatures (the rain has to condense after
all)  It won't be a REALLY bad heatwave unless it is very high humidity.
(however, an extremely low humidity is just as bad)  It is also advisable
to sit down with a book on the subject of various weather conditions.  A
REALLY complex weather system (something even I wouldn't consider doing,
as it is way too detailed) would include the weather factors at various
altitudes, which determines our weather more than most people realize
(cold air up high makes clouds, and easier for thunderstorms to form for
example)

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press