Re: [CODE] Slay

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 08/06/98

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, d. hall wrote:
>> It would make more sense to have slay be a IMP only command that _WILL_
>> slay a single player or mobile. So kill will act normally across the board,
>> and slay will slay.

> As an imp, 'kill' does what it says, so does 'hit'.  'kill' doesn't make
> sense in its current behavior for mortals if we use your reasoning.

Except for the fact that Circle is a Diku mud and the shortened K for kill
has been a holdover from Diku for historical reasons.  Kill is attempt to
kill as hit is attempt to hit.  Slay, not being a mortal command leaves
little room for interpretation.

Basically for interface reasons, an inconsistant interface should remain
consistantly inconsistant across the board.  A dichotomous statement that
makes perfect sense.  Keep kill the same for mortals and immortals, it'll
prevent 'accidents' by inexperienced immortals.

Don't be like Microsoft and have an interface change from one stage to the
next.  Oww... Win95 is double click to exec, and Win98 is single click.

d.