Re: threads

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/09/98

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Cervo wrote:

>ObCircle:  How about implementing POSIX threads in circle, and including
>the library with the mud?  Threads make the mud run faster, and make a lot
>less lag when resolving hosts is done via a thread, along with many other
>tasks which can consume the mud, ie file input/output, etc.  Just a
>thought for Circle MUD 4.0 or Circle MUD 3.0 final.  There's also glibc2.

http://www.van.ml.org/CircleMUD/projects/thread.pre

It's about as robust as a straw house, but it works.  The original idea was
to have one thread per player but the four global buffers (Quiz: Can you
name them and where they are defined?) kill that chance.  My buffer patch
(http://www.van.ml.org/CircleMUD/buffer/) was designed to remedy that and
should be thread-safe in and of itself in addition to other neat
improvements.  Other packages exist for threaded DNS looked and such stuff.

The major crux now is to have all of CircleMUD use those buffers.  Once
that has been accomplished, we can more fully use the abilities of the
package, including the auto-snprintf ability.  That isn't quite implemented
yet because nothing (including myself at the moment) uses it.  The API to
the buffers should be generic enough to be replaced by something else later
if it's better.

Anyway, a 4.0 item...

P.S. - How's that single elusive bug working out Angus?

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/ (not done) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.