Re: [IDEA] New feature suggestion, comments please... <199808111509.QAA18431@mimic.tiuk.ti.com>

From: Kevin Doherty (kdoherty@JURAI.NET)
Date: 08/11/98

Thus spake Phil Summers <Phillip.Summers@TIUK.TI.COM>:
>All,
>
>My players want me to add a command to allow PC's to have sex and produce
>offspring.  Does anybody have any feelings on this?  I guess there's quite
>a few issues here.

I've seen several implementations of it, and the one I disliked least was
just having a set of x_socials that require the consent of the other
person without actually producing offspring, . The biggest problem
I've seen is that the offspring have no ingame meaning. They're more like
a Tamagotchi than a child, and a lot of people tend to treat them that
way. While collecting trinkets with no actual value on a mud is
understandable, treating a child, even a simple object to represent a
child, like that in the game is just really dumb, imho. There's no point.

Mudsex in general tends to complicate things on the mud. I don't mind
people using emotes and such, but I'd rather not encourage this kind of
behavior.

>By the way, this is not a joke (even though it may seem like it), they really
>did ask me for it!

If you actually have a desire to implement it, go ahead. If you're still
undecided, I would suggest implementing it on a temporary basis, say for a
month or so, and see how it goes. Maybe you have more mature players than
I've encountered, but in my experience it's ended up a lot like mud
marriage. Too often one person takes it more seriously than the other,
and you'll have to end up dealing with the crap.

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoherty@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."