Re: Newbie? Longterm Time format

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 08/12/98

> I have longterm spells and skills implemented into my mud. Which is kept
> track by a counter, that is decreased every phase. Similar to
> pulse_violence ..  affects all people that are flagged with PLR_ANIMATE,
> PLR_ENCHANT, etc. I was wondering how I might change this counter, into a
> time variable? So it might be easier to display the time to the player.

Since pulses don't exactly match real time, you don't want to store it as a
time variable.

What you can do is take the number of pulses and find out how many pulses
per second.

Let's say you have a new heartbeat function called pulse_affect.  It's
operational length is 250000 usec, or .25 of a second.  There are 4 of
these per second.

You take the number of affect pulses left on the item and divide by 4 to
get the number of 'RL seconds' left on the affect.

Just find the ratio of pulses to RL seconds.

d.