Re: [IDEA] realtime landscape

From: Bryan Britt (beltane@BELTANE.COM)
Date: 08/21/98

If I understand this thread correctly, we are doing a hybred of what you
are talking about.

We started out designing the areas of the mud by designing the landmass
and oceans, and mapping out the entire world.  Then for the ocean areas
we are gridding the entire sea area with zones.  Each of the zones would
be a considerable distance, probably taking somewhere around 10 movement
points.  We will use probably 10 zones to cover the sea areas.  You will
be able to go over any ocean areas.  This will allow us to have
undiscovered islands and the such.  (Of course, since Beltane is, by
storyline, a flat earth, I don't recommend idling near the edge of the
world.... the DGs will pull you over the edge into deathtraps.  <G>)

Over the land areas we are using one zone for link paths over mountains,
one zone for link paths over fields, etc.  This way mountain pass mobs
can be programmed once, and areas can be quickly moved without having to
re program part of every zone.  It is set up like this example:

Zone 10: Mountain Passes
  Rooms 1000-1025:  Runestone to Septagram
  Rooms 1026-1050:  Brimstone to Sea Port
    etc.

For deep woods zones we are planning on implementing the maze snippet,
so that paths through the woods change each time.  At least of off-the
beaten path areas.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services

At [Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:56:44 +1000], Andrew Ritchie <object@ALPHALINK.COM.AU
> wrote:

> >Well, maybe this sounds stupid, but I have seen several non-circle MUDs
> >where they have a huge world, most of it forest and grassland and things
> >like that. The zones are generic, usually just a bunch of interconnected
> >rooms with the same bland room description, but it really makes the game
> >feel more realistic.
>
> If you wanted to do this, I think it would be a far better idea to make
> room flags for every room (ie, mountains) if you don't already have them,
> and then modify the look command to search out the flags of your room and
> the surrounding rooms and then display them as an ascii picutre of sorts.
> This saves time for people who currently are writing up a geographic desc
> for every room. All you need to do with this idea is set the appropriate
> flags on every room. Just my two cents.
> | Andrew Ritchie, object@alphalink.com.au.
> | "Success is a child of one hundred fathers,
> | yet defeat is but an orphan."

Bryan L. Britt                                        501-327-8558
Beltane Web Services, Conway, AR            http://www.beltane.com
~~~~~~~~~~Support Private Communications on the Internet~~~~~~~~~~
Moons of Beltane MUD               telnet://moons.beltane.com:4000
                                      http://www.moons.beltane.com