Re: [NEWBIE][DOC]

From: Andrew Ritchie (object@ALPHALINK.COM.AU)
Date: 08/23/98

>> Regarding coding.doc

It's not finished yet, but I think (hope) Jeremy is working hard on
it. I'm sure he's got a lot of stuff to do other than write coding
documents at the moment. Be sure, you'll know when he's finished.

In the mean time.....

Buy yourself a book on C coding. I bought myself "Teach yourself C
in 21 Days" by SAMS Publishing (ISBN 0-672-31069-4) and I thought
it was very well written, and learned a lot quickly from it.

Read it.

Make little programs that do different stuff.

Read it some more.

Download the source code the Circle, whichever patch level you
want although I recommend 14 as it has the least bugs, and just
look through the source code. At a newbie-coder level, I recommend
skipping comm.c and the like as it deals with how information is
passed through sockets, which doesn't really affect the game all
that much.

Anyway, try and figure out what everything does (or what most things
do) by referring to your C book. Then download some sample snippets
that aren't patches but actual walkthroughs - the best place is my
opinion is Alex Fletcher's site) and see how they work when you put
them into your mud. When you're ready, make a backup of your work
(highly important) and then change it a bit. Compile it, and if
it works good for you. If it doesn't, try to figure out what's wrong.

If you can't figure out what is wrong, this is the time you're backup
comes in handy :)

Hope this helps....