Re: [SILLY QUESTION] Uncrypting passwords

From: Fili (cybom@NETROPOLIS.NET)
Date: 08/25/98

Chuck Reed wrote:

> I'm working on two different places right now, and I wrote some code to
> show imps the password of any player in the game for one of them.  In my
> transfering of the code to the second mud, the GET_PASSWD(ch) and
> chdata.pwd return the crypted passwords.  This was not the case for the
> first mud, but both use password encryption.  I'm guessing that since one
> is FreeBSD and the other is Linux (redhat 4.0 i think), that the encryption
> is a ton different.  What I'm asking is where I could find a way to DEcrypt
> the password string.
>
> Chuck

Err.... HAH! The same encryption method is used on CircleMUD that is
used for any sort of UN*X encryption. your best bet is to either 1) Do a
pwipe and fix the problem, or 2) Try and log everyones passwords at
login. I plan to release a snippet or two over the next few epochs that
does this however inadvertantly, so if nothing else use that when it is
released.

Fili