Re: [SILLY QUESTION] Uncrypting passwords

From: Chuck Reed (master@I-55.COM)
Date: 08/25/98

>Somehow, it comes to mind that something... oh, sneaky, would be going on for
>you to be asking how to get a players password.  Somehow, I doubt that this
>has anything to do with the well-being of your MUD.  Passwords are a entirely
>private, though corrupt System Adminstrators (IE, Imps), often use them to
>their advantage.  Many-a-times have I seen people lose data on their mud, or
>be used in some other, sneaky way, because they used the same password on two
>accounts.
>So, this message is actually two-fold... one... don't use the same
password on
>two accounts if one is terribly important... two...
>Why do you ask, Chuck?

a) thanks for the vote of confidence
b) i use it for finding multi-players from different ips
c) it's helpful for when people claim they forgot their password, cause if
the passwords are similar, it's most likely their char

Also, if i was planning on using it to hack the pentagon, players still
forfeit the right to their password, their ipaddress, or whatever else they
use.  Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to plan a scheme to take over the
world like this yet . . . so there's no need to worry about my system
administration being corrupted just yet.