Re: Limiting Multiplayers..

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 08/27/98

> Quite a few school have both workstations and terminal servers.  if you
> are running from a terminal server you have the IP of the server because
> you log into the server and the Xterm handles the graphics. (the Xterm is
> a real dog brain type machine).  This was rather common when servers were
> expensive and terms were cheap.  upgrade 1 machine vs 50.

Quite a few ISP's have large Sun Ultra Sparcs which they allow the legacy
people to use irc, or telnet to muds, or just read news via tin.  Normally
identd isn't running on these systems since they don't come by default.

Angus is speaking from personal experience, about the the terminals acting
as X clients for a large server (does wpi still do that Angus?).  BGSU and
a couple other colleges I've done client work for have the same setup.  No
amount of automation will surpass a human's brains ability to think.  The
best setup would be to have this system FLAG suspicious users, for further
investigation.  If you think the system flawless, you're lulling yourself
into a false sense of security.  Any clever person just connects via linux,
runs identd AND creates two separate accounts to mud from.

There is no automatic solution, and anything automated that boots people is
dangerous precedent to set.

If wish to be that strict, just require email registration, and X numbers
of accounts per email.  The problem with strict systems is that if you
inconvenience the honorable user and harass the dishonorable one, you'll
lose good users and present a challenge to the bad ones, having the
opposite effect that you wanted.

d.