Re: Limiting Multiplayers..

From: Sean Daley (sdaley@BBNPLANET.COM)
Date: 08/27/98

>i don't know about you, but i have more important things to do than stay
>connected to my mud constantly to make sure that people are following
>rules..i'd much rather have hard coded rules that people CANNOT break than
>a policy that i would have to investigate and enforce..people would become
>even more irate if they were censured personally, rather than the mud
>telling them that they cannot do something..
>
>> time opens up your MUD to possibly alienating large player bases (such as
>> universities/colleges).  A reasonable multiplaying policy is all you really
>
>i don't know about other colleges, but at computer labs in my school, all
>workstations have an individual ip..this is the case at every other
>college that i happened to use a computer at..

Well at my college, we had a Lab in the math department full of
Sun Workstations.  Now my roommate and I both liked to mud and
it was much easier for us to do it from our math accounts (I liked
to use Tintin so using unix was kind of necessary for me).  Now
get this, Unix allows people to remotely logon.
So now if my roommate was sitting in the lab working on our
machine called germain, and I telnetted into germain and started
up tintin (I was telnetting from our other school account, which
was not a unix based system).  I would do this from the comfort
of our room which made life so much easier (great access to pepsi
and pizza for the most part).
If we were both to mud, we both would have the same
ip address (this actually happened a few times).  Now this is
an extreme case, but still a very reasonable possibility.

Sean