Re: Enough about multiplaying/decrypting passwords

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 08/27/98

>can you all who are interested in this subject please take it to
>personal mail?

<rant>
I'm sorry, but this is a place to discuss CircleMUD related issues, both
coding an administration.  This happens to fall under the charter of the
mailing list.  If you don't like the topic, don't read it.  I delete more
than half the mail I receive from the list, but I don't tell people to
stop talking about something.  That's just like banning a book because
you don't like what it says.  If you don't like the topic, that is your
problem, not ours.
</rant>

Now, back to the topic:

Ok, here are a few ways you can handle the problem, and the problems
associated with each:

Ignore it, but the problem being you get it happening.

Hard code it in, but this leads to stopping legitimate users from logging
in, simply because of the system they are on.

Hard code a warning in (something like: "Multiple IP: SoanSo Logging in
from somewhere.com") but that creates work for the immortals. (although
I'd hardly call that a problem)

Require users e-mail admin for a player, but this deters a lot of users
from the MUD, and tends to give an impression of an "elitist" MUD.

Require the e-mail of a user before logging on, and stop duplicates, but
with free e-mail accounts everywhere, this is next to impossible to stop.

There are probably other ways, but this covers the basics.  A determined
multi-player will come on no matter what.  Even hard coding in all the
security you want will not stop someone who REALLY wants to multi-play.
Instead of looking at ways to stop multi-playing, try looking at why they
WANT to multi-play and stop that.  If they are multiplaing to kill a big
mob, try coding in something to make a mob get rid of multiple people.
(One I saw was a mage that recalled a player attacking them, really cut
down on parties of players FAST)  If they are multiplaying to get gold
from new characters, then require something BEFORE they get the gold.
Instead of trying to put a band-aide on the wound, try looking for what
is causing the wound.

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press