Re: [code] password retrieval

From: Henrik Stuart (hstuart@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: 09/01/98

> This is truly pathetic, and i joined this mailing list
> because i thought i'd see people talking about circlemud, not how to
> become so-called "hackers" and steal people's passwords. Grow up and
> take it elsewere, please.

Well, any cryptology matter is always good to pay attention to for
anyone running a mud of any kind. For the so-called "hackers", I must
admit that the "hackers" around nowadays are the media-hackers, those
who steal, wreck havoc, and so forth. The word hacker covers someone who
holds a great deal of knowledge about computers, code and how they work
together. The archtype hacker is someone who breaks systems, not to
steal and erase information, but to make people aware of security
breaches. So please stop using the word hacker in the wrong connection,
thank you.

ObCircle: Re: Marriage code

Well, for anyone who'd be interested in the marriage-code (think it was
Philip A. Ames who posted a note about marriage code), the Darkoth's
Snippets Page (or whatever it's called), contains a quite good marry.c
function for rot or smaug. Anyway, I've included the basic idea below:

ACMD(do_marry) {
  char name1[MAX_NAME_LENGTH+1], name2[MAX_NAME_LENGTH+1];
  struct char_data *vict = NULL, *vict2 = NULL;

  argument = two_arguments(argument, name1, name2);
  if (!*name1 || !*name2) {
    send_to_char("Marry who to whom?!\r\n", ch);
    return;
  }

  if (GET_CLASS(ch) != CLASS_CLERIC) {
    send_to_char("You have absolutely no idea about how to perform a
marriage!\r\n", ch);
    return;
  } else {
    if (ISMOB(vict) || ISMOB(vict2)) {
      send_to_char("Nah.\r\n", ch);
      return;
    }
    if (!(vict = get_char_room_vis(ch, name1)) || !(vict2 =
get_char_room_vis(ch, name2))) {
      send_to_char(NOPERSON, ch);
      return;
    }
    GET_SPOUSE(vict) = GET_NAME(vict2);
    GET_SPOUSE(vict2) = GET_NAME(vict);
    send_to_char("They are now wed.\r\n", ch);
  }
}

That's the basic idea, just add a GET_SPOUSE(ch) ((ch)->player.spouse)
in utils.h and add char *spouse and char spouse[MAX_NAME_LENGTH+1] in
accordingly places in structs.h
Guess that's it, ye can always write further on it to suit your needs,
mine is long as a bad year, but i didn't feel like giving out all of it
;)

-Henrik

          | It's better to go look for the dragon than have |
          |   the dragon come looking for you.              |
          |                       -Dwarven Proverb          |