Re: Patch/Snippet Resolution

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 09/03/98

>> I will say it again, there is _nothing_ preventing you from 'cd ..' up
>> one directory to apply the patch.  It's a common practice to apply
>> patches to the whole distribution, and not just the src/.

> Common pracitce for who????

Well, quite a few other GNU projects.  Also I can think of quite a few X
server patches, qmail patches, etc...

> 99% of the patches out there were run on ONLY the src directory!!!!!
> and NOT the whole distribution!

Clarification, 99% of CircleMud patches.  Must of the other public efforts
that I've seen and worked with require patching across an entire
distribution.  It just so happens that most things that require patches in
Circle are done in the src/.

> ohh well.. anyways.. I have said my peace.. and annoyed most of the list
> with this one...

It is constructive comment, I'm just trying to point out that radical
design changes within the mainstream code should be justified fully.  You
cannot justify your rationalization due to the original thinking behind the
Credits file (George provided a very good point).

> I stand on my thoughts to move the credits file to the src directory. Do
> a check for existance and let it ride.. I think it will improve the use
> of the file, since it is more readily available and if it does not patch
> right.. a .rej file will be created and easier for anyone to add to
> it. It provides more consistancy and convenience overall!  plain and
> simple.

My reasoning follows, if people aren't willing to lift a finger to credit
correctly, they won't be willing to fix patch rejections as well.  What I
was proposing was a system in which people who like to run muds w/o having
heavy coding experience, but want patches, and will allow for proper
creditation, seemingly a concern amongest the 'old guard'.

d.