Re: Patch/Snippet Resolution + idea to actually do it

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 09/03/98

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, I wrote:

>The directory idea would work, but it's not extremely portable.

Well, I meant the 'sed' script idea.  Feel free to write something with
opendir() and readdir().  You can find an overview in the CircleMUD FAQ
written by Daniel Koepke.  That idea I'd ask Jeremy about[*], the rest of
them (moving credits file to patch and directory with sed) I wouldn't.

Ho hum, not that I want it bad enough to actually write it.  It really
shouldn't be that bad with opendir() and such, just that the table would be
created at run time instead of at compile time.  But, if you make a
separate program that creates a .c file based on the contents of the
directory, you can add that .c file to the list of required .o files which
will cause it to be automatically compiled, included, and the static string
(or array of) can be printed in main() or simply left in the binary for
reference.

[*] - Yes, some of you forget, that I'm _not_ the guy in charge. :P

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/ (not done) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.