Change to spell system

From: Kieran Sobel (ReaperKS@AOL.COM)
Date: 09/04/98

        I was thinking the other day (Yes, I DO, do that sometimes), would it be
practical for me to change the way spells are worked in the code? I was going
over it the other day and found it terribly complicated (Well, for me anyway).
I am pondering changing it from about 6 different functions (One for damage
spells, another for apply spells, etc) to just one. So do_cast takes the
command and finds the spell being cast. Then it passes the spell number,
caster data, and the argument (Whatever is inside the ' ') to a function. This
is simply a huge switch containing each SPELL_XXXX. So this means that each
spell has its own code, and not just a generic, boring spell. Now this might
be impractical for many people, but for little ol' me, I think its a good
idea. Because I don't want generic spells, every single one of them will be
different.

I'm just looking for opinions, tips, pros/cons, lawsuits, ya know, the usual.

- Kieran of Darkening Skies
        "Be careful what you laugh at it might laugh back."
                        -- Sonia Lyris.