Repetitive skill idea

From: Ghost Shaidan (ghost@AO.NET)
Date: 09/05/98

> ObQuery:
> ok..what do some of you do as far as skill checks for skills like 'pick
> lock' that a player can continually make attempts at? i want to avoid
> having lengthy wait states..perhaps have a vitality or movement cost
> associated with non-combat skills..shrug..any thoughts? this is even more
> of a problem if you've implemented increased skill through use..someone
> can get a key, and continually lock;pick the door until they've increased
> their skill as high as possible..in fact, although i'm not familiar with
> tin-tin or tinyfugue (sp?) i think it's possible to write a script to do
> this continually..walk away, go to the bathroom, and come back to 100
> percent skill :)

What you mention is VERY posible and happens alot.  I have only come up
with a couple ways of handling this (I am focusing on pick locks in this
discussion, as the proposed solution is less viable for track, or some of
the other skills that can be boosted this way).

The problem here, as I see it, is to be able to know when a thief has
failed to pick a lock (This _IS_ ala AD&D.) The only 2 ways to do this are
to keep the room/direction of locks picked on the thief, or keep the idnum
of the thief as part of the room.

I would want to do some logging of the pick command before I implemented
anything like this, just to get a good idea of:

a: how many thieves tried to pick an individual lock
b: how many locks the average thief tries to pick.

I am partial to saving a small array on the character of locks they have
picked.  (depending on your MTBF this could just be a memory struct, not
something saved to disc.)

I would guess that an array of 5 room/direction pairs saved per character
might do the trick. (On my mud, thieves aren't played too much as a main
character, working on making them more attractive, but right now, this
would work).

Then just loop through the array when they pick, if the room/direction
exists, DENIED!

Having worked with/as a locksmith one summer, picking a lock isn't
something that takes alot of stamina or vitality, just time (depending on
how good you are) so I haven't been able to justify a loss of movement for
this skill yet.

Maybe you can tie this into the theory of a Mental Endurance stat someone
through around on the list a while ago, and things like pick lock, that
require concentration will reduce that stat.

*Shrug*

Just some thoughts, Good Luck!  I'd be interested in hearing any other
solutions for this problem.

Ghost Shaidan
Implementor of Questionable Sanity
qs.mudservices.com 4000