[Telnet] Altering input modes

From: Brian Langenfeld (00206205@BIGRED.UNL.EDU)
Date: 09/06/98

   For the new OLC I'm writing, it'd be really nice to be able to receive
single-keystroke input from the user (rather than the user hitting 'enter'
before input is sent to the mud, each keystroke would be sent as it is
pressed).  Mail readers (such as PINE) and other locally-hosted programs
often do this, so I'd really like to believe it can be done on a mud.
   Putting aside the "most people mud with a client" argument (because I
don't), could anyone with greater telnet experience shed some light on
this problem?  I checked out the TELOPTs listed in telnet.h (used in
echo_on( ) and echo_off( )) and tried working with TELOPT_LINEMODE, but
had no luck.  Some help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

                                                        Brian