Re: Adding more comm channels

From: Del Minturn (caminturn@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 09/13/98

When I was adding in another channel, I wrote down basically what I did.
I am not sure if I finished this or not, so use at your own risk..
Atleast it will get you started...

Adding of another communication channel. (Newbie Channel)

-------------
structs.h

at the end of the list in:
/* Preference flags: used by char_data.player_specials.pref */

+ #define PRF_NONEWBIE

-------------
config.c

Has the line
int level_can_shout = 1;

for minimum level, keep this in mind when determining the minimum
level for the all the channels.

-------------
interpreter.h

at the bottom of the list for /* do_gen_tog */

+ #define SCMD_NONEWBIE   17    <-- last number in your list!

----
/* do_gen_com */

+ #define SCMD_NEWBIE     5

------------
interpreter.c

+{ "newbie"   , POS_SLEEPING, do_gen_comm , 0, SCMD_NEWBIE },
 { "news"     , POS_SLEEPING, do_gen_ps   , 0, SCMD_NEWS },

----

  { "nohassle" , POS_DEAD    , do_gen_tog  , LVL_IMMORT, SCMD_NOHASSLE
},
+ { "nonewbie" , POS_DEAD    , do_gen_tog  , 0, SCMD_NONEWBIE },
  { "norepeat" , POS_DEAD    , do_gen_tog  , 0, SCMD_NOREPEAT },

------------
act.other.c

at the end of the list in

  char *tog_messages[][2] = {

/* dont forget the comma at the end of the last line before you
   add in the two lines below */

+     {"You can now hear the Newbie Channel.\r\n",
+     "You are now deaf to the Newbie Channel.\r\n"}

-------

+  case SCMD_NONEWBIE:
+    result = PRF_TOG_CHK(ch, PRF_NONEWBIE);
+    break;

------------------
act.informative.c

+         " Newbie Channel: %-3s    "
          "    Color Level: %s\r\n",

-----

+       ONOFF(!PRF_FLAGGED(ch, PRF_NONEWBIE)),
        ctypes[COLOR_LEV(ch)]);

------------------
act.comm.c

find and change for your number of channels:

-  static char *com_msgs[][4] = {
+  static char *com_msgs[][5] = {

-----

At the end of the message section add:

-    KGRN}
+    KGRN},
+
+    {"You cannot use the Newbie channel.\r\n",
+      "newbie",
+      "You aren't even on the channel!\r\n",
+    KGRN}

-----
like I said, I don't remember if this is all of it or not.. so search
your code for any of the other channel info and see if it needs adding
or changing.