Re: [Off-Topic] Number of Coders for a MUD

From: Bryan Britt (beltane@BELTANE.COM)
Date: 09/16/98

Yes, TOTALLY sick.  And halarious.  Did you sync it so that you have to
poop an hour after you eat?

ObTOPIC:
And back to the main discussion, I would have to say that most of the
MUDs that remain totally stock lie and die in a short time.

I don't think the real crime here is that the number of stockies
deluting Mr. Elson, Mr. Greer, et al. code.  Since they are in fact,
getting thier code seen and used.  Although it is a personal curiousity
why they do it anyway.  (I'm glad they do.)  Since they don't get paid
to do it, how do they have time?

Anyway, I think the real crime is that those 1000 stockies might have
100 kick-ass zones between them that deserve to be used and seen. Either
in the Public Domain for other stockies to use, or on a real MUD, one
that is truely customized, etc. (What's the opposite of a Stock
CircleMUD?) And those builders building those zones are wasting their
efforts on thier little baby toy MUD when they could be building for one
of the current biggies or one of the up-and-coming biggies.

I think a lot of Talent is being wasted on stockies when they could be
building a universe.

Anyone want to build a universe?

Bryan Britt
Moons Project Manager
Beltane Web Services

At [Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:32:54 PDT], Barbara Desmond <barbaradesmond@HOTMAIL.C
OM> wrote:

> Not that anybody cares, and yes this is quite off topic, but I'd figure
> somebody might read it.
>
> Is it me? Or has the amount of stock circlemuds just reached an alarming
> new rate? I have seen everything, from plain old circleMUD 3.0 BPL 14s.
> They are a load of stock, yet the owners feel that their mud is the
> best. To top it off, I've seen soooo many that violate the CircleMUD and
> DikuMUD license.
>
> To add in personal experiences, a friend of mine opened up a circlemud.
> He patched in..oh..maybe 4 or 5 snippets, then actually called his mud
> 'open to the public'. This is downright pathetic.
>
> I don't mean to complain, but I think that the amount of people that are
> opening these stock MUDs is too high. Something _has_ to be done about
> it. What a waste of bandwidth.
>
> This is not meant to be a flame, and don't get me wrong. There are some
> really good circlemuds out there. I just think that all these stock muds
> are terrible. Mr. Elson, Mr. Greer, and all the people who made
> CircleMUD a sucess, deserve better, then having all these people running
> around with stock code, saying that they made the mud themselves.
>
> Maybe Jeremy should put in a few bugs that you actually have to fix to
> compile?
>
> Comments?
>
> OBCIRCLE:
> I just finished my 'bathroom' code. Now in addition to messages about
> hunger and thirst, you have messages about taking a piss and poop. Only
> rooms with a bathroom flag are you allowed to take a piss/poop in. And
> it actually creates the items on the ground!
> Sick eh?
>
> Barbara Desmond

Bryan L. Britt                                        501-327-8558
Beltane Web Services, Conway, AR            http://www.beltane.com
~~~~~~~~~~Support Private Communications on the Internet~~~~~~~~~~
Moons of Beltane MUD               telnet://moons.beltane.com:4000
                                      http://www.moons.beltane.com