Re: [Off-Topic] Number of Coders for a MUD

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 09/16/98

>My, aren't we malicious :)  Remind me never to let you near my code ;)

If you think that was malicious, you should see some of my in-game code.
<grin>

>ObCircle:
>I'm interested in writing elevator code.  Note the "Interested".  I
>haven't a clue where to start, nor how to add exits....  Anyone got any
>clues as to where I might start?  Thanks,

Well, there's a lot to think about.  Depending on how real you want it
will determine what kind of coding you will do.  If you want a simple
"take me to another floor, and don't worry about if there is another
group of people in an elevator" then use teleporter-style code.  if you
want a "it's so bloody real, I'm stuck waiting for the car to arrive" you
need to start by working out an algorithm to handle the movement of the
car.  Basically, the elevator is a room that just has exists appear and
dissapear, as well as change from exitting/entering into one room, and
another.  That part is easy.  It's the handling of the elevator, the
buttons and everything else that is a pain.

I do have a working elevator code (however, it isn't where I can show it
off)  I might just release parts of it, especially since I am thinking of
upgrading it to something really spectacular that even allows for use of
"open door" and "close door" buttons.  You will all have to wait to see
what I decide, and once I test out the new code.

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press