Re: [CODE] ASCII rent files

From: Rick Glover (magik@THEGRID.NET)
Date: 09/19/98

-----Original Message-----
From: James Thomas <rasdan@TELEPORT.COM>
To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Saturday, September 19, 1998 12:17 AM
Subject: Re:  [CODE] ASCII rent files

>> The code allows you to easily add any new stuff to the pfiles without
>> worrying about char_file_u, only char_data.  It allows you to use a perl
>> script to easily modify all the pfiles for new stuff without doing a
pwipe.
>> You can eliminate the length restrictions for things like titles.  You
don't
>> have to worry about some things that some pfiles have and others don't,
>> it'll only load what is actually in the file.
>
>I am curious what the need for a perl script is to modify pfiles when you
>add stuff.
>
>Why not just have the code set a default if nothing is saved in pfile for
>that variable? If you remove something, just have the code ignore the
>entry in the pfile for that stat.
>
>Rasdan

That is a way to do it, as I have done and still do, but it makes for very
messy and cluttered code.  Eventually someone will forget that something is
ignored when it shouldn't be anymore or some new coder you get will remove
the useless code and you'll get messed with.  Plus, this wont account for
the way that may change the way a variable is scanned into the memory.  For
example, if you changed classes to multi-class by changing class to an array
class[3], you'd want to sscanf(" %d %d %d ") from Clas: and couldn't do it
without scanning, then checking if the second variable received trash then
setting the other variables that rely on the class variable, etc...on and on
into useless puddles of meaningless code.

So, using a perl script, conversion program, or conversion function within
your CircleMUD code, you would run that once for things that require special
attention and be done with it.

Rick