Re: code Stuff

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 09/27/98

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Del Minturn wrote:

>As I have seen so much added and changed since I started playing with
>the code again (I think it was around 3.0 bpl8) it would not suprise me
>if ASCII pfiles were added.

Not saving aliases or equipment positions was deemed a bug by Jeremy a long
time ago.

The OLC system is itself one big bug but we're not fixing that currently.

>I would assume that something like Oasis and ASCII pfiles are slated for
>4.0?

I've expressed interest in adding Sammy's ASCII pfiles in for the next
version but I don't remember Jeremy's official position on it.  If he
doesn't want to add it, we won't. I'm not going to secretly add OasisOOLC
to CircleMUD one day just because I have access to doing such.  I don't
mind having it separate from the release although it does slow them down a
bit waiting for the up-and-coming patchlevels.  At most I would want the
Generic OLC routines in the stock source.  Then people can use OasisOLC,
OBuild, or anything else they want more easily.

>I can't forsee a CircleMUD 3.1. The bpl's to me seem like the 3.1, 3.2,
>etc..

As soon as CircleMUD is out of beta, it will be released as 3.1 to
eliminate confusion with the beta series of it. (Previous statement by
Jeremy.)

I have no idea if it will be 3.2, 3.5, or 4.0 after that. Don't know if
we'll be C++ but I do know I'd like to have the magic system a little bit
more flexible.  I sat down tonight and spent 2 hours working on a new spell
system but eventually had more exceptions than the common case and gave up
on that approach.

And that's my State of the Circle address, it's round. Closing quote:

"You're the reason I live. You're the reason I die, You're the reason I
give when I break down and cry. Don't need no reason why." -- Aerosmith,
Angel.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.