Re: Why use olc?

From: Carlo Mocci (mocci@TIN.IT)
Date: 10/05/98

Just a thought on this topic...

In our Mud we have OLC installed and heavily expanded to support new
features (we have more commands than the oedit/medit etc...). So using only
a stock editor would leave a lot of work in text editors to be done.
In Italy most of ISP don't charge for connection hours, but the telephone
is, so you'll spend about 1.5$ an hour in day-time, less in the evening,
for building online.

We run the Mud on a linux box, but only coders have linux installed on
their compo, not builders. So our solution is to have an executable version
of the server compiled for Win95, sometimes we use Cygwin32, other times
Borland (it depends on who builds the executable). Then the builders
download that and use it offline to build everything they want.

BTW I think that having an online possibility to edit zones is pretty
important to correct bugs, typos and just creating gadgets. And if you use
DG Scripts, OLC is the way to go too.

Just my two cents

| mailto: mocci@tin.it                                        |
| http://volftp.tin.it/IT/IT/ITALIANI/MOCCI                   |