weird bpl12 crashes

From: Mulder (mulder@CLOUD9.NET)
Date: 10/16/98

Ok, I usually dont post to this list much about problems, but I have
recently moved my mud over to a Linux 2.0.30 system and there are alot of
crashes. I'm running bpl12.. one of the biggest bugs is when you do
something like:

Enter the new text you'd like others to see when they look at you.
(/s saves /h for help)
]             .-.
           (0.0)
         '=.|m|.='
         .='/@\`=.
            @8@
        _   8@8   _
       (@__/@8@\__@)
        `-=:8@8:=-'
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
            |:|
] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] String too long, limit reached on message. Last
line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] String too long, limit reached on message. Last line ignored.
] %%% Disconnected from server.

The entire server crashes.

What would be causing this? Is there something I need to change? It seems
like moving the server over to Linux has made it much more fragile when it
comes to memory related (?) errors. Here is the gdb output for that crash:

Core was generated by `bin/circle 4000'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
#0  0x40086432 in free ()
(gdb) list
194
195     #endif
196
197
198     int
199     main (int argc, char **argv)
200     {
201       int port;
202       char buf[512];
203       int pos = 1;
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40086432 in free ()
#1  0x860a0f0 in ?? ()
#2  0x19 in ?? ()

I'm assuming its something in structs.h or something of that nature, but I
have never had problems like these before. I would appreciate a reply about
this, thank you for reading.