Re: [CODE] Windows 95 Email rego

From: Jason Wilkins (fenix@IO.COM)
Date: 10/29/98

Jourge Fuzz Bush wrote:

> And what the guy originaly wanted was a e-mail patch. See the problem is
> that when he e-mails someone with this through his mud with the system
> command everything will be stopped until the prog returns. That's not
> long maybe 5, 10 secs but with all the lag that could be going on plus
> this don't make a good mud. I figure that a simle little e-mailer based
> on advanced text editor wouldn't be so hard to make considering a mail
> server is based on a few commands. Now if that's not what he wanted let
> me ask is there a patch for internal internet mailing.

Instead of the system command, maybe you can start it up in a parallel
process with something like spawn (I think there is a similar command
in Win32), then your mud will only pause long enough to get the new
process started.  The 'system' function blocks your program until the
program you started finishes.  But there is a function in Win32 that
will allow you to start it in another parallel process and it won't
block the parent.

Let me look it up in MSDN...

Well, don't I feel sheepish, the function is called "CreateProcess",
call it with flags that will cause it to start without opening a
new console, make it not use the console of the parent, and start
without blocking the parent.

Hope this helps.

--
           Phoenix -- President of The Artistic Intuition Company
       Caelius * Mirror Reflex * Runica * X-Domain * Infinite Realms