Re: [NEWBIE] Coding...

From: Rick Glover (magik@thegrid.net)
Date: 11/11/98

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Rage <mike_rage@WEBTV.NET>
To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998 10:03 PM
Subject:  [NEWBIE] Coding...

Hello all, I have a question. I would like to learn how to code. Now,
me, lacking the time and resources to take a class on C/C++ need a
better method. I have seen some books, and I'm wondering which books you
guys would suggest I read. Also, if you know of any manuals that would
help me, I would appreciate it. Also, I am beggining to read the code,
and edit it, but I want to eventually write my own code, so any help
would be great! Thanks!

There's not just one source for learning to code...muds.  I've always like
the "Learn <blah> in 24 hours".  They are pretty much to the point and have
some good ways of explaining everything.  Plus they have the necessary
software to learn as you go and web support for any questions you have.  As
for coding a mud from the ground up, it's just a lot of experience that
you'll need and learning all the elements of socket handling and telnet.  My
strong suggestion, as it is on the FAQ and other docs with CircleMUD is that
Circle is NOT a way to learn to code C and is not a place for beginners.
You should learn C first, then peck at the code a little at a time.  Making
cosmetic changes to a mud does not constitute being a coder.

IMO, of course.

Rick