Re: reroll stats

From: Andrew (object@alphalink.com.au)
Date: 01/05/99

>There are too many people out there that confuse CODING and RUNNING a
>mud these days. They are NOT one in the same. I will not disagree that
>the person running the mud should also code it, but it does not have to
>be the case. As I ran a mud for 2 years without coding one thing in it
>or even knowing how. It was very successful, and a great learning
>experience. I am now coding a different mud and learning a lot. There
>has been many more experienced coders in this list that say basically
>the same. They learned C from playing with Circle code. For those who
>have (or can) learn the code easily and make improvements on any aspect
>of the code, I admire them. Even the newbies!
>Can we atleast all agree that you can be a coder by playing with the
>Circle code, or atleast manipulating what code is available and be able
>to get the results you want?
>(meaning anyone, experienced or newbie)

I agree entirely. I'd never ever coded on any MUD, and only knew the basics
of C programming, such as 'printf()'. I had so many warnings saying that I
should not start on my own MUD without previous experience in coding. But I
wanted to make a MUD so bad.. so I downloaded the code, and learnt. I think
just looking over the code and trying out different things was the easiest
and fastest way to learn C, and how thw MUD worked. Now I can code just
about anything into my MUD - I just completed my own custom OLC system,
which was a big milestone for me. In short, you can do just about anything
you want if you put in the effort, and the hardest thing for someone else
isn't necessarily the hardest thing for you. The hardest thing for me is
thinking up 20,000+ room descriptions ;)

So if you really want to be a MUD owner/coder, you can. Just put in the effort.

----
Andrew Ritchie,
object@alphalink.com.au