Re: [NEWBIE] [CODE] [MULTIPLAYING]

From: Phillip A Ames (kirk47@juno.com)
Date: 01/15/99

I realize it's a 'losing battle' but I can still try and fight it as best
as possible.  In my MUD, I'd rather not have a single player with a char
of each class running about.  As all of the skills/spells are humungously
benefited by those of other classes through a system I have
implemented(i.e. the skill kick and punch:  If you kick someone, then
punch them, the punch will do more damage cos the opponent will be still
recovering from the kick).  Rather than having a single person become
unstoppable, I'd like to promote groupwork and cooperation/playing in
teams.  That's why I want to slow down multiplaying.

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:33:40 -0800 Fafhrd <fafhrd@GREYHAWK.ORG> writes:
>   Coding against multiplaying is almost invariably a losing battle.
>A thought though.... for the last 5-6 years, I've been near or at the
top of
>the hierachy of some of the largest and most well known muds, and for
the
>life of my, I fail to see what exactly is _wrong_ with multiplaying. We
>code/build/administer these things to be games, a way and place for all
of
>us to either hide from school, or unwind after a long day of shoveling
shit
>in the fields. Our players come for the same reasons, to simply have
fun. If
>the only way a person can have fun is to play both a mage and a fighter
at
>once, and it doesn't interfere in anyones elses fun, what exactly is the
>harm?!?
>
>Erik Madison
>ICQ #13940294
>www.greyhawk.org
>fafhrd@greyhawk.org

Phillip Ames    | Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
kirk47@juno.com | -Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #19
ICQ: 8778335    | AOL IM: Grathol
http://members.xoom.com/Gowron/index.html