Re: MAX_STRING_LENGTH

From: George (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/21/99

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Ronny Iversen wrote:

>Im considering making MAX_STRING_LENGTH 10 times as big since Ive been
>having several problems with
>buf etc getting overflown, just wondering how this will affect the mud
>and if it will have serious side effects.

Which means 'buf', 'buf1', 'buf2', and 'arg', (global variables) will
suddenly take up 320k of memory by themselves.  Also every function which
uses a MAX_STRING_LENGTH will suddenly be throwing massive buffers on the
stack.  Remember that under Bash in Linux you are limited to 8 megabytes
of stack per default.  I don't know what Windows limits you to in stack,
but I wouldn't guess it would be much.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org