Re: [NEWBIE]128-bit error

From: George (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 02/04/99

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Christina Orr wrote:

>I hate to bother you with such a lame question and I feel really ignorant
>asking this but what do you mean by typecast?  I'm a novice coder and have
>temporarily lost my C book so I'm a little lost as to what you mean.  I
>realize that these are just warnings but there are quite a few of them so I
>would like to clean them up.
>
>Many apologies for bothering you with this,

char *changeme;
long imanaddress = (long)changeme;
int *imanumberpointer = (int *)imanumber;
const char *dontchangeme = (const char *)changeme;
char foo = (char)'s';

Most of those are silly, but you get the (idea) of it.
                                         ^    ^

Basically it's a way for you to tell the compiler that you're smarter than
it is.  It's also a great way to crash a program if you use them
gratuitously.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org