Memory corruption :(

From: Ronny Iversen (ronnyi@ifi.uio.no)
Date: 02/05/99

Hi everybody!

    Been having a bug lately thats killing me, I have no idea how to
locate it
and hopefully somebody out there knows what to do. Been working on this
mud for close to a year just to
end up witgh not being able to track down this last bug :( The tricky
thing is that it happens in intervals between 2-3 hours
of uptime. Then the crash is in point_update where the code goes through
all items in the game.
Somehow one of this items have been corrupted. When debugging the core
file I get

for (j = object_list; j; j = next_thing) {
    next_thing = j->next;                              /* this is close
to where it usually crash */

I print out the j thats caused the crash, and according to the debugger
this
object suddenly has gotten a negative item_number. Anybody knows how
this is possible and why it can happen?
It usually takes 2-4 hours of uptime before it happens. ANy help will be
ghreatly appreciated, Im desperate for a sollution :(

(xxgdb) print *j
$1 = {
  item_number = -17152,                   <---------------------
  in_room = 16395,