Re: [CODE] event based combat

From: Xual (xual@satanspawn.ml.org)
Date: 02/12/99

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Stephen Comoletti wrote:

> Just curious on peoples thoughts of event/queue based combat. I've played with

I love it.

> the fightevent snippet with mixed results. I'm not quite to the point
> of replacing most of the handlers with an event based system globally,
> more thinking just a small queue that has a delay on each action
> before execution, however not creating a wait state on the player who
> issued the command. IE, player initiates combat, standard attack would
> be swing with current held weapon which has a delay of x (defined by
> various attributes/skills/etc). Before this event takes place, the
> player can still issue new commands, look, add his/her next action to
> the queue (special combat move or spell) etc. Keeping this in mind,
> the player should be able to alter this last action at any time by
> simply issuing a new one, however not be able to affect the action
> currently in the front of the queue. So the queue would only need 2
> events in it for each member in combat essentially. No input results
> in default action being entered as next event as soon as the first
> event is out of the queue. etc etc etc. Has anyone completed anything
> similar? and any pointers on it?

I'm not quite sure of the purpose of the second queue, but the way that
the fightevent patch is *supposed* to work sounds like what you are
describing.  After tying to get it to work for about 12 hrs I gave up.
After adding a few of my own events, I decided to write my own combat
system and it works fine.  Players can issue the same commands when
fighting as in stock, its still based on pos.  If all you want to do is
delay the execution of the players command, then a WAIT_STATE is probably
the way to go.

"Misery is boundless"
        -Xual the Torturer, on the Eve of the Sundering.

Danathara Online RPG
telnet://danathara.ml.org:4000