Re: new at linux

From: Michael Lemler (coronach@succubus.datacruz.com)
Date: 02/17/99

> If they buffer overflowed an addon, this would simply terminate the game,
> and disconnect everyone connected to the game, wouldn't it? Thus not letting

Well, that depends.. it has not been unheard of that you can buffer over
flow something and insert arbitrary code into the stack.  Once the stack
attempts to "re-enter", it executes that arbitrary code, thus giving a
person a shell or whatever they wanted that code to do.

This is not unheard of and I know of at least one major mud out there that
has been and is still possible to such an attack.  A player was able to
cheat by editing the player files....

--Coronach@succubus.datacruz.com