Re: Reloading a single area during gametime

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 03/04/99

> >I write a OffLine builder, with capabilities to upload an area to the
> >mud.  My only problem is now, I need to make it so when the person
> >uploads an area, the area will reload.  I have a pretty good idea on how
> >to do this, but I wanted to make sure there isn't anything that might
> >give me trouble before I mess with the code.
>
> Currently it would be a major pain to coax the existing database parser to
> do this.  It just wasn't designed for that.

        I agree, this is a major pain.  If you're really gonna do this, I
recommend you take some baby-step through the reloading process - DO NOT
USE the parsers already written for any reason, they're not what you want.
You're going to want to use a parser that does multiple passes, or
something..

        1)Find and replace
 (if the vnum already exists, travel around and alter existing types)
        2)Create
 (if the vnum does not exist, travel around and create, make space in the
  correct index and insert it, update indexes... most of  this is from
  olc functions)
        3)Destroy
 (if the vnum exists already, and does not in new version travel around
and remove that item - rent files too!.. renumber indexes, etc)

        Of course, I told everyone it was too annoying, and just to
copyover/reboot.  That much effort for very little gain, just wasn't worth
it.

                                                        PjD