Re: Copyover & autorun

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@technologist.com)
Date: 03/04/99

On 3/5/99 4:04 AM, Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM) stated:

>I don't see why autorun needs ever know the mud stopped.
>Copyover exec's the new mud instance, and exec is
>transparent to the parent process.
>
>If you're doing a copyover automatically as part of
>SIGSEGV handling (in a fork()'d process) and then
>returning so you can dump a core, just do the
>copyover from the original process instead of the fork
>and autorun will never know.

Ah I know why it sees it as having stopped - I use several processes (3 -
the 'holder' process, the 'identd' process, and the 'game' process).

On copyover the 'game' process becomes the 'holder' process, the holder
regains control, kills identd, then dies.

I suppose I'll have to redesign the system now... dunno how tho.

- Chris Jacobson