(Fwd) Rejected posting to CIRCLE@POST.QUEENSU.CA

From: John Hines (jahweb@grnco.net)
Date: 03/15/99

I am having quite a bit of trouble. I know I am overlooking
something but have not been able to spot it for the last week or so.

I have added in the ascii_pfiles-2.0b patch to Circle 3.14 OLC+2.1a
and DG 6. Everything is running smothly exept for one detail (major
detail :( )

When an already existing PC logs onto the mud it hangs at the
name prompt in login. Sits idle for aprox. 3-5 minutes then spits
out the following error:

malloc failure: Cannot allocate memory

0x40057781 in __kill ()
(gdb) list

gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 4072 bytes.
Mar 15 16:13:02 :: SYSERR: Received SIGHUP, SIGINT, or
SIGTERM.  Shutting down...

At this point I am kicked out of gdb also.

I think my error in the code MUST lie in load_char. I can send
load_char on request, it's way to big for the list limit.

I cannot locate where the code is wrong. when i run the mud i am
using  38.7% mem and  93.6% cpu (p200 512mb ram) which of
course is a bit overboard. I dont want to tick anyone off on the
serverr i am on (i share with a couple other muds) so i need to nip
this one in the butt.

thanks for any help,

John Hines
Weefcraft Custom Tiedyed Apparel