Re: [NEWBIE] More Cygnus questions

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@pacific101.com)
Date: 03/21/99

All these problems with Cygnus leave me slightly baffled.  I thought there
was a FAQ[1] for some of this stuff, but here's some stuff that I did to
make mine work fine.

The Configure Script
--------------------
The problem with the configure script is that the first line:
#!/bin/sh
is referring to a command that isn't present in /bin.  One solution is to
copy a bunch of stuff into /bin, but the other, more logical way to solve
the problem makes use of Cygnus' Linux-like setup.  A symbolic link will
take care of all of this stuff.
BASH.EXE-2.02$ ln -s /cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin /bin

This makes it so all of your command files can be referenced from the /bin
folder.  Realize that /cygnus corresponds to c:\cygnus, so you nee to make
sure you use the name of the folder that you specified during your cygnus
installation.

Temporary Folder
You also need a /tmp folder.  I did another symbolic link to my
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP (/windows/temp) so my temporary files are all taken care of
at one time.

For more information on ln, the symbolic linker, type ln --help inside your
Cygnus (or Linux) shell.

Hope that helps,
-B.

1.  Maybe I'm just thinking of the time I wrote a FAQ for it.  My computer
locked up before I saved it.