Re: [NEWBIE] More Cygnus questions

From: Sean Tindall (stindall@home.com)
Date: 03/21/99

An easier way to fix all these problems everyone is talking about is to
create mounting points.  In Cygnus' setup documentation, they actually
recommend mounting /tmp, /etc, /bin, and /. (/ is usually already mounted
to c:\ or something)

Here's how to mount: (just use the command "mount" to see your current
mount table, and the command "umount" to un-mount a path.

BASH>mount Drive:\\Path /mountpoint
OR    >mount /unix-path /mountpoint, where "/" must be already mounted (i
think)

So for example, use the following command to mount /tmp to the temp
directory on your C: drive

BASH>mount C:\\Temp /tmp

...and the /bin dir:

BASH>mount d:\\cygnus\\cygwin-b20\\H-i586-cygwin32\\bin /bin

* You need to use two "\"'s, not just one if you use the absolute DOS-PATH,
or you can mount the Unix equivalent as well (Cygnus can use both), but if
you do you have to make sure that your "root" directory is mounted
properly, ie. "/".

These mounting points are stored in the registry, and they can be editted
there as well.  The key is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus
Solutions\Cygwin.dll setup\b15.0\mounts\.....

Here is what my mount table looks like:

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
c:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
d:\stuff\mud     /mud                native      text!=binary
e:               /games              native      text!=binary
d:\cygnus\cygwin~1\etc /etc                native      text!=binary
g:               /cdrom              native      text!=binary
d:\cygnus\cygwin~1\H-i586~1\bin /bin                native
     text!=binary
f:               /archive            native      text!=binary
d:               /apps               native      text!=binary
a:               /a                  native      text!=binary
C:               /                   native      text!=binary

Mounting is much nicer than dealing with symbolic links.

sT