Re: [NEWBIE] [SYSTEM]

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/23/99

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Jiri Bajer student wrote:

>My problem is: I'm merely newbie coder, so I need more time to debug
>my parts of code. So I'd like to run a testing mud at home, but my HW
>is too poor (386DX, 4MB RAM, 40MB HDD without network connection B-( )
>to run a UNIX on.

People run Linux on 386/16's with 2 MB of RAM.  With a 40 MB hard drive
you'll have room for the system, compiler, and sourcee code at most.

>So I got a (maybe heretic) idea: change some communication macros and
>functions to use printf() and scanf() instead of network operations and
>allow only one player to be connected.

Loopback networking will work just fine. (IP=127.0.0.1)

>Hmm. Easily said, but: Did anyone try to do it? All I need is to log
>with Imp character and test my additions to current code. (Now I'm
>using Borland C++ 3.1 - Dos only version). All advices would be
>welcome, thanx a lot.

Theoretically, you could make CircleMUD accept connections from the
terminal you used to run it with very little changes.

Fudge it so file descriptor 0 connections, but it'll be easier for loopback
networking, which the OS provides.

--
George Greer            | Shirak's CircleMUD for Windows help
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://www.connect.ab.ca/~rbmstrk/