Re: [NEWBIE] Wizhelp and Godcommands parse

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 03/25/99

> I have downloaded and integrated the god commands patch from the
> circlemud ftp site.  As I have implemented this into the mud, I have
> found a few problems with the wizhelp.
>
> I would like to have the wizhelp dependent upon command flag rather than
> level, so that only the commands available to you (as shown by which command
> flags are active), would be displayed. What happens currently, is that the
> wizard commands available to that level are displayed, even if the command
> flag itself does not allow the user to use the command.

        This is really rather simple.  Of course, with stock code, the
only way commands are assigned is via level of character.  If you're
actually seriously making something like a flag for every wizard-level
command, to say whom has which command, first, i'd recommend an array
instead of the hassle from having multiple bitvectors to catch all your
commands.  Then, i'd say, add a check in wizhelp that's identical to the
command that you'd _have_ to put into the command interpreter inorder to
have your system work.

        You could also - and this would be annoying - check to see if the
pointer to the function to be executed was identical to the function...
that's one for each function, and that's annyoing.

        I did something like this when I wanted to display socials,
commands, wizard commands, and mob-only commands in different groups.

                                                PjD

> I was also considering having the wizhelp break into sections. >
> For example
>
> If bob has the cmd flag OLC
>
> Then when bob types wizhelp
>
> OLC:
> redit  zedit  medit  sedit  etc...
>
> Anyone experimented with this idea, or anyone have any suggestions as how to
> attack this ?

        This is what I'd call a 'cosmetic' change.  It's nothing more than
a few 'if' statements when you're generating the string you're going to
output.

        if (has olc functions) then display olc commands.

        Shouldn't be too difficult.
                                                PjD