Re: [IDEA] Coder Commands and Wizstat

From: Brandon Brown (ViperBrd@aol.com)
Date: 03/31/99

My word.  Such ideas you have.  Now it's time to implement them, hm?  Listen,
this isn't the place to submit your ideas and ask for people to code them..
that's what coders are for.  I suggest, before you come up with anymore of
this brillant ideas (*still shuddering at the thought of a coding OLC*), you
read something on coding.  Then look at your CircleMUD code..all of it.  Then
read all of the documentation, the FAQ, the WTFaq (*plug*), and the
information in coding.doc, and in the documentation site of the FTP page.
Then look at your code again.

But, please...please... don't just expect the coders on this list to just drop
whatever they're doing to code in a new feature for you.  You can't rely on us
forever... and if you expect to start a big project like that, you're going to
need to understand the code.

Just my two cents,

---
B. Brown
WebMaster, CircleMUD WTFaq
http://developer.circlemud.org/docs/wtfaq/

<< Being that I would like for my account to stay as secure as possible, I do
not
 want to
 give out the login to any would be threats.  In order to have a coder
however,
 they must have access to the shell to program (either that, or program off
mud
 and ftp in, however this is inconvenient and does not allow for makes).

 What I was considering, is allowing coder's access to the source code via an
 olc type interface.  This way, they could work with the code, My master coder
 would be able to watch what they type, I could log their work, and they do
not
 have to have direct access to the shell in order to program.  By adding a
 "compile" command, (essentially a system(make);) the coders would be able to
 work efficiently without comprimising the security of the shell itself.

 My second idea is to have a set of Wizard Monitoring Statistics...
 I know this may sound like I don't trust my Immortals, but the fact of the
 matter is, some people just apply to get the title, and they don't do much of
 anything.  In order to elminate this, and to highlight the members of my
staff
 who are highly involved in the MUD, I would like to make the following:
 OLC Time
 Code Time <- Assuming I implement the coder commands
 Wizcommands Used
 Actual Time Logged In
 Quests Run
 etc...

 If anyone has implemented these into their MUD, or has any suggestions for
me,
 anything would be greatley appreciated.

 Lodaren of Rhu-Dina'ar
 oberon.krans.com 7777 >>