Re: [Coding] A new look

From: Christian Loth (sg618lo@unidui.uni-duisburg.de)
Date: 04/03/99

Am Sam, 03 Apr 1999 schrieb George Greer:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Christian Loth wrote:
>
> Checked lately?
>
> --- 8< --- 8< ---
> "Prior to this release there had been a lot of confusion surrounding the
> licensing of the iODBC Driver Manager component, the end result being
> stunted development and deployment of ODBC compliant applications outside
> of the WIN32 platform", said Kingsley Idehen, President & CEO, OpenLink
> Software Inc. "Now that iODBC is licensed under GNU's Library General
> Public License scheme, we can realistically expect an explosion of cross
> platform iODBC & ODBC compliant applications, especially in the Internet
> space". He added.
>
> IODBC Driver Manager v2.50 is available for immediate download from
> OpenLink Software, Inc.'s iODBC Software Download URL:
> http://www.openlinksw.com/iodbc/software.htm
> --- 8< --- 8< ---
>
> Or am I missing something besides any $ whatsoever?

The Driver Manager is free yes, but the drivers themselves not.
e.g. at work we have a really screwed (but don't mention it to
my boss, because he insists on that one ;) ) setup, with a Linux
client acessing an M$ Access Database on a NT Server.

The components that cost $$$ are the Request Broker, and the
Drivers. So the actual software is (damn I hope this looks
somewhat recognisable :P )

  Client                             Server
  ----                             ----
 Application                      RDBMS (Oracle, Informix, whatever)
       |                                       ^
       |                               DB Agent ($$$$)
       |                                      ^
       |                               Request Broker ($$$$)
       |                                      ^
      V                                      |
 Driver Manager(GPL) --> Multi Tier Driver ($$$$)

- Chris

> --
> George Greer            | The CircleMUD FAQ
> greerga@circlemud.org   | http://developer.circlemud.org/docs/FAQ/

Christian Loth
Coder of 'Project Gidayu'
Computer Science Student, University of Dortmund
sg618lo@uni-duisburg.de - chloth00@marvin.cs.uni-dortmund.de