[linux][system] suid and file permissions

From: Bill Long (bill@longboys.net)
Date: 04/03/99

okay. i have my mud set up to boot on system boot(from the rc.local
file)
my mud has its own user and group.  the trouble is, when i run it from
the rc.local file, it gets run as roots UID. so all the files created
during the session(new players, log files, etc) are owned by root.

i have tried every possible combination of the stickybit but it still
runs the circle executable with roots UID.  okay. no problem i thought
i'll just make a quick little script, owned by root, which the autorun
script can run and change all the ownerships back to my mud user. then
set the sticky bit on it and that will work. well..it doesnt.

so i'm down to one of two possible conclusions:
1) i have a very gross conceptional error about the purpose of the
stickybit and
   i'm trying to get it to do something it shouldnt. (i'm leaning
towards this    one)
2) the sticky bit functionality is broken in my version of linux(2.0.36)

would some kind soul please clue me in? or if there is another way to
get the mud
to run as its own user:group from system boot i'll give it a shot. i'm
willing to try just about anything now.
--
www.bellanet.com - very nice web hosting services
                 - web application services