Re: Sv: New mud

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 04/05/99

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Jan T. Pedersen wrote:

>ftp.circlemud.org is pretty much empty !!!

Huh?

greerga@cambot:~$ find ftp/ | wc
   1798    1798   81369

I don't call nearly 1,800 files (/pub/CircleMUD/ alone) empty.

>i would just like to have some skills/spells that wasnt standard, to have
>something for the few players. until i learn the code !

And then we'll get 10 e-mails when you have problems installing the patches
or instructions.  4 more when you can't get it to compile.  2 more when you
don't know how to do something a C book explains.  And 1 more when your
partridge is in the pear tree.

Been there. Done that (repeatedly). Please don't. Get a C book. Learn. Then
play.

There's a reason this is written on the web site:

--- 8< --- 8< ---
So, you want to run your own MUD, huh?

If you're already an old hand at playing MUDs and you've decided you want
to start one of your own, here's my advice: take a vailum, lie down, and
hide in a dark closet until the desire goes away. Just playing MUDs is
masochistic enough, isn't it? Or are you trying to shave that extra point
off your GPA, jump down that one last notch on your next job evaluation, or
get rid of that pesky Significant Other for good? If you think silly
distractions like having friends and seeing daylight are preventing you
from realizing your full potential in the MUD world, MUD Administrator is
the job for you.

Don't get me wrong: running a production MUD can be great fun. It can also
be overburdened by politics and plagued by spiteful players devoted to
making your life difficult, and otherwise be a highly frustrating
endeavour. That's why I don't do it any more.

I am not the rule, simply the exception.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org