Re: Java Circle

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 04/08/99

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>I think I'd sooner port CircleMUD to BASIC.  Or shell scripts.  Or Logo.
>Or Pilot.

I was going to do that once with QuickBASIC but quickly gave up since it
didn't have networking, or even pointers.

You could probably do it in shell scripts but string manipulation would be
a major pain in the a....  I'd do Perl first, probably with SQL or Berkeley
DB backend since it has quite transparent support.  My only real (minor)
complaint with Perl is that you have to be more careful with variables in
general.  A minor quibble is that character by character processing seems
more difficult but I've not needed that much so far due to regexps.

>a scripting language, one for CircleMUD, let's say, whether blocks will be
>determined by delimiters like in C ({}) and Pascal (begin/end), or by
>spacing (any example languages?) what would be your preference?

I like the whitespace is ignored attitude. It allows people to have much
more flexibility with their own "taste" in coding style.

>    for (i in character_list)
>      if (!isnpc(i) && i.got_message < 10)
>        send(i, "hello.\r\n")
>        i.got_message++

Neat idea, but what happens if people like 4 spaces, or tabs, or mix the
two, or get it badly formatted from cut & paste, or etc..  Then people with
variable-spaced font terminals may have words with you.

>-dak : And real men use Slackware.

Since v3.0.  I'm suffering through RedHat at the moment but living. RPM be
damned, I'm compiling egcs 1.1.2, glibc 2.1, and Linux 2.2.5 myself.  I'd
still be stuck with gcc 2.7.2.3, glibc 2.0.6, and Linux 2.0.36 otherwise. I
could use Debian, but won't due to personal reasons.  The only thing I
really use RPM for is the really monster packages, like XFree86.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org