Re: Java Circle

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 04/09/99

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>Although that might not be terribly desirable, given that a mud is a
>calloborative project and, from personal experience, a big problem is
>always getting everyone to write readable code.

So you do something like Linux did:

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle

>Tabs could be expanded to, by default, 8 spaces.  I suppose I can allow
>that to be changed within a source file via a "#pragma" type thing.  Your
>spacing doesn't need to be two, I just used that as an example.  I could
>very well do:

I suppose instead of counting spaces, you'd just check for > or < the
current number of spaces?

>  if (i !in character_list)
>    if (isnpc(i))
>      i.flags.set(crafty)
>      log("set crafty flag on " + i.name())
>    else if (i.flags.has(foobar))
>                             i.flags.set(bar)
>                             log("set bar flag on " + i.name())

Line continuations work as usual?

>As for variable width fonts, I don't see the point.

I mean if you were going for an exact number of spaces per indentation
(which above you appear not to be doing), then variable width fonts will
make it hard to count if you have 4 or 3 spaces in front of a line.
Sometimes I have a hard enough time with 1 or 2 just between characters
depending on font size.

--
George Greer            | Bug Reporting or Help
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://bugs.circlemud.org/